The church of Santa Marta

 

The former Church of Santa Marta, with its origins dating back to the 14th century, rises on what was the Venice island’s westernmost point and it is the only historic building in an area occupied by only nineteenth-century constructions.

It was deconsecrated in 1811, while the annexed monastery was completely destroyed and progressively dismantled, and used in various ways until becoming a depot used by the port in much more recent times.

As part of the project for improving the Venice's port waterfront, the former church was completely renovated, both outside and within and the Venice Port Authority uses the former church as a seat for providing to the city new facilities and services for exhibitions and conferences.
 

The former Church of Santa Marta
The former Church of Santa Marta
The former Church of Santa Marta now
The former Church of Santa Marta now