Stella Maris' Friends
Seafarer' welfare facilities
Born in 2001 Stella Maris' Friends Onlus provides help to seafarers inside Marittima Seamen's Club, also through a strong ship visiting activity in Marghera cargo port managed by the main branch in via Fratelli Bandiera 158/a (Marghera Venezia).
Marittima Seamen's Club opening times: 08.30 - 17.00, during passenger ship season and evening upon request.
Our Seamens' Club provides following services:
- international telephone cards;
- public phones in private room (air conditioning);
- internet point with printer and webcam;
- fax machine and xerox copies;
- Italian sim card including activation;
- Italian mobile top up;
- international press review;
- shopping corner;
- seafarer's work questions counseling;
- money transfer (Western Union / Money Gram);
- facilities to send little package and normal mail.
- toll free number: 800125168;
- upon request, facilities to reach urban areas and airport.
Seafarers are the hardworking men and women who work aboard cargo and cruise ships, playing a critical role in the growth of global commerce.
90% of global trade is transported by sea and seafarers are the human faces behind the food we eat, the oil we use in our cars and the cement in the sidewalks we tread.
Seafarers work long hours, often under lonely, perilous conditions. Signing on for year-long contracts at sea in order to support loved ones at home, mariners must deal with isolation, stress, dangerous conditions and increasing incidents of piracy in certain parts of the world.
We find most crew now come from countries where unemployment is very high and the jobs they find with cargo and cruise lines provide the means to support their families and build futures for them.
In addition to being so far from home, seafarers are nearly invisible to the societies they serve, leaving them vulnerable to exploitation.